Bread - Khoubiz
Directions: 1. Dissolve the yeast in a _ cup of the lukewarm water, add sugar and set aside in a warm place until it rises and foams – approx 10-15 minutes.
2. Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl and place in a warm oven for a few minutes to warm slightly.
3. Pour the yeast into a well in the centre of the flour and mix it in by hand, adding the water gradually. Knead well to a soft dough. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board or cloth and continue to knead until it is smooth and shiny – approx 15-20 minutes.
4. Knead in 2 tablespoons or the oil, roll into a large ball and rub the remainder of the oil around the ball. Leave in the bowl, cover with a damp cloth and set aside in a warm place to rise until nearly double its size – approx 1-2 hours. Turn the oven on to maximum heat at least _ hour before cooking the bread.
5. Punch the dough down in the centre and draw edges to the middle to re-form the ball. Turn onto a floured board or cloth and knead for approx 2 minutes.
6. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and roll each into a ball. Flatten each ball on a lightly floured cloth roll with a rolling pin into flat round shapes, about the size of a dinner plate and approx _ in (6mm) thick. Place round on a floured cloth, cover with another floured cloth and set aside to again rise to nearly double their size – approx 20-30 minutes. Place a baking tray in oven for 5 minutes, remove and lightly rub with oil.
7. Place one round of bread on the baking tray and cook until it swells up in the centre and browns slightly – approx 4-8 minutes. Remove from oven and wrap in a cloth. Continue until all the rounds are cooked. The bread should be white, soft, and chewy. When cut in half it will form a pocket into which sandwich filling of ever description may be placed.
Back to recipes